Saturday, October 13, 2012

Italian Neorealism


I have found my calling and the genre that I would like to pursue... It is that of Italian "Neorealism". What is "Neorealism" you may ask yourself. The best way I can describe it… it is true reality. Neorealism isn’t the crap that you see in movies today with happy endings and heroes or any other silly crap that we are fed on the big screen (or the little one in your homes).

Neorealism in cinema began in in 1945 and lasted till about 1948 with one of the last films in the genre showing in 1951. It was a reflection of reality after and during the devastation of World War 2.

Ceasare Zavattini
One of the most vocal amongst screenwriters in the genre is Cesare Zavattini. He wrote the screenplay for "Bicycle Thief" for Italian Director Vittorio de Silca.









Here is a list of some of the films that were produced during this genre:

1945 - Open City

1946 - Paisan

1946 - Shoeshine

1947 - Germany Year Zero

1948 - The Bicycle Thief

1948 - La Terra Trema

1951 - Umberto D.


When I first seen Bicycle Thief, I immediately thought it was going to have a strong resolution at the end of the movie. But as in life itself, sometimes there is no resolution to the conflicts that we face. The feeling that overcame me when watching this great film was the feeling of being ripped off by the society that we live in and it’s many disguises of reality. I then chuckled and realized it was a great film. Bicycle Thief had poised a reaction out of me, something that movies usually don’t do, only people who frustrate me. I highly advise anyone to see this film and try something different by receiving a new outlook on life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment